This site is a record of the multisport, triathlon, Kayaking, Running, biking and other endurance events and races I compete in.

Friday

Dunedin Winter Kayak Race Series - Race 1 - Vaxuhall 10km/Otago 10km Champs Sunday 25th April 2010

(Photo - I'm the 2nd White Boat at left of picture behind K1)
I went along to the first of the winter Kayak Series races last sunday and had a good paddle. There was a turn out of 39 boats which was good to see and i guess future races will get even more as the weather was pretty windy. So after a good 40km spin out to Portobello on the road bike prior to the race it was into theKayak race. It was a 10km course that ended up being 4 laps of a 2.5km circuit as the wind was quite strong on the harbour - I enjoy the rougher stuff as it sorts out the paddlers and slows the K1 padders down a little. The race was prett quickly paced with a good turn out of the surf club paddlers. I stuck with the front bunch of them for the first 2 and a half laps and then dropped back a bit. I ended up finishing 7th overall and was the first multisport boat which I was happy about coming in behind 3 K1 paddlers and 3 surf skis,all surf club paddlers who are strong as!
Next weekend is the first of the local winter multisport races with the first one being out at Broad Bay - a good series to keep you honest over winter and have some fun,

No comments: